Mikhail Charles (2012)
Barrister (England and Wales) | Barrister (Eastern Caribbean) | Chartered Director | Mediator
Mikhail’s practice incorporates commercial law, property law, landlord and tenant, insolvency, trusts, contract and general civil litigation wherein he appears in County Courts, tribunals and the High Court in England and Wales.
He is fully versed in all forms of ADR and accepts instructions in mediation and arbitration, both domestic and international.
Often his cases involve an offshore/international element (and is Chambers and Partners ranked for Saint Vincent and the Grenadines) and he is familiar with the particular considerations of cases which involve proceedings in other jurisdictions.
He has extensive experience obtaining emergency injunctions, including freezing orders.
The same where he appears in the High Court and Court of Appeal in the Eastern Caribbean.
He undertakes drafting and advisory work within the above areas. In depth detail is available upon request.
He also regularly provides expert evidence on matters of Commonwealth Caribbean Company and Corporate Law.
He was educated at the Saint Vincent Boys Grammar School, did A-Levels in Saint Vincent and his LL.B at University of Wales (Cardiff), bar at City University Law School and a Masters in Corporate and Insolvency Law at Nottingham Law School.
He lectures in commercial law, advocacy and professional ethics at the University of Greenwich and is a company law consultant at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
Mikhail’s focus upon commercial litigation and upon the demands of HNW clients has meant that many of his cases have involved either an international or off shore element. Accordingly he is experienced in the international aspects of all of the areas in which he practices.
His main international focus would be cases involving off-shore companies, structures and international contracts/arbitration as well as enforcement of judgments.
Amongst other things, he is admitted to and practising at the Bar of the British Virgin Islands and the Saint Kitts and Nevis Bar. He also holds the LEC, a credential which allows him to be admitted to the Bar of any Commonwealth Caribbean State as of right.
He is also a 4th Dan (Master Grade) Taekwondo practitioner and was formerly world ranked – he teaches / coaches at Tan Gun Taekwondo and Mixed Martial Arts Academy
EXPERTS YOU CAN TRUST
EXPERIENCE & BACKGROUND
- Advising and preparing Defences to a variety of claims for unpaid rent which raised issues of disrepair, contractual interpretation, validity of Section 8 and Section 21 Notices.
- Appearing at a number of private rental possession proceedings (and advising on such proceedings)
- Advising on and preparing Particulars of Claim for a variety of circumstances, including the forfeiture of commercial leases, residential property etc.
- Representing Parties in diverse applications to the First Tier Tribunal.
- Representing landlords and property owners in residential possession proceedings against tenants and trespassers
- Advising personal representatives on the proper construction of a will and how the estate assets fall to be distributed.
- Representing the Claimant in Part 8 proceedings in relation to the administration of a trust (the case settled prior to trial)
- Representing the Claimant in contested Part 8 (now Part 7 proceedings) for Section 15 TOLATA proceedings over a joint names property valued at £2 million.
- Appearing for petitioning creditors and companies at the hearing of numerous winding up petitions
- Appearing for petitioning creditors and debtors at the hearing of numerous bankruptcy petitions
- Advising and appearing on a variety of applications to set aside statutory demands.
- Appearing at a hearing concerning a claim for rectification of a company’s register of members
- Advising on an application to restore a company to the register
- Appearing on applications to extend time for the registration of a charge.
- England and Wales: Barrister | Mediator (Civil and Commercial –
- PDSL, Civil Mediation Council, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and International Mediation Institute)
- Eastern Caribbean (British Virgin Islands, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Lucia and Grenada):
- Barrister | Notary PublicEmail: email@example.com
- Chancery Bar Association
- Commercial Bar Association
- Property Bar Association